The Bible contains numerous verses that offer guidance and wisdom for marriage. Here are some of the most well-known and significant Bible verses about marriage.
- “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.’” – Genesis 1:27-28
This passage emphasizes the importance of marriage and procreation. God created man and woman to be partners in fulfilling His plan for the world.
- “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” – Genesis 2:24
This verse emphasizes the unity and commitment that should exist between a husband and wife. When they marry, they become one flesh, and they are called to be devoted to each other.
- “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her…In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.” – Ephesians 5:25, 28
This passage highlights the sacrificial love that husbands are called to demonstrate toward their wives. Husbands are called to love their wives in the same way that Christ loved the Church, by putting their needs above their own.
- “Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior.” – Ephesians 5:22-23
This verse emphasizes the role of wives in submitting to their husbands. Submission does not mean inferiority or oppression, but rather a willingness to follow the leadership of the husband as he follows Christ.
- “Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.” – Hebrews 13:4
This passage emphasizes the importance of fidelity and sexual purity within marriage. God calls married couples to honor their commitment to each other and to remain faithful in thought, word, and deed.
- “Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?” – 2 Corinthians 6:14
This verse cautions against marrying someone who does not share your faith. In a marriage, both partners should be committed to following Christ and growing in their faith together.
The Bible contains many verses that offer wisdom and guidance for marriage. These verses emphasize the importance of commitment, sacrificial love, submission, fidelity, and faithfulness. By following these principles, couples can establish a strong and lasting relationship that honors God and brings joy and fulfillment to their lives.